About EASY-ECO: A new challenge
2008-2010 brochure (PDF, 523 kB)
EASY-ECO 2005-2007 brochure (PDF, 681 kB)
EASY-ECO is a training and conference programme on evaluations
in the specific context of sustainable development, in short:
sustainability evaluations. Between 2005 and 2010, the EASY-ECO Series
comprises seven conferences and ten training opportunities:
||Conference / Training Course
"EASY-ECO 1 - Evaluation of Sustainability"
"EASY-ECO 2 - Evaluation of Sustainability"
"Impact Assessment for a New Europe and Beyond"
"Improving the quality of Sustainable Development Projects"
"Governance by Evaluation"
"Stakeholder Perspectives in Evaluating Sustainable Development"
Training on Strategic Environmental Assessment
Training on Sustainability Assessment in a Transboundary
|27 Sept - 1 Oct
Training on Evaluation of Sustainability of Development Assistance Projects and Programs
"Sustainable Development Evaluations in Europe"
EASY-ECO unites twelve European
top-class research institutions with the common aim of building
sustainability evaluation capacity. This will be achieved by training
young researchers in the EASY-ECO Trainings and
facilitating the sharing of relevant experience of leading academics,
junior researchers, policy-makers and evaluation practitioners at
The events can be attended individually. However, young researchers who
want to complete one of the EASY-ECO Trainings
and benefit of the support of experienced academics are highly encouraged
to first visit a conference, and then attend one of the EASY-ECO Trainings,
finally submitting a paper for one of the conferences following their
- disseminates theoretical knowledge and practical experience among
- provides a modular hands-on education in sustainability evaluations
to young researchers, which is unique in Europe
- increases capacities for sustainability evaluations, especially in
the new EU member states
- gives contractors and evaluators an overview on evaluation methods
and products available, i.e. increasing market transparency
- promotes networking and professional exchange among researchers and
The conferences and trainings cover fields of application such as
- national strategies and policies for sustainable development
- EU structural funds and agricultural funds (especially in EU new
- Local Agenda 21 activities, urban and rural development programmes
- corporate sustainability and corporate social responsibility
- development assistance
and methodological issues such as
- sustainability impact assessment
- optimisation techniques, such as cost-benefit analysis
- statistical and econometric measures, such as multi-criteria analysis
- quality standards and indicators for evaluations
As the challenge of capacity building is most significant in the new
EU member states, their needs will play a prominent role throughout the
series of events.
EASY-ECO 2002-2003: Two successful EU conferences
In 2002 and 2003, the Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration
hosted the first two European conferences on "Evaluation of Sustainability",
the precedessors of EASY-ECO. More than 200 outstanding academics,
young researchers, evaluators and contractors from 25 European countries,
the United States and Canada participated. The conferences were the first
ever to provide a European-wide overview of various approaches and methodologies
of evaluation in the context of sustainable development. Click
here to get an overview of the EASY-ECO 2002-2003 Conferences (including
proceedings, papers, presentations and MP3s).
Subscribe to the EASY-ECO Newsletter
to continue receiving updated information!